A Van Awesome Journey

Hi thanks for finding my blog! I am a wife of an awesome husband and proud mother to two amazing boys. I just quit my job to stay at home with our children and now have all the time in the world to play play play!!! Play with my children and play some games of my own...hence this blog. I entered a contest to be part of an Adventure Race something I have never done before. So I am required to blog weekly on my journey...so here goes..thanks for sharing it with me :).................So what has started out as a blog for reasons mentioned above has now continued into an on going journey that I have been asked to continue to share...and you with me! So thanks for coming along for the ride :)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

No shame in it....

So a recent experience with a client has had me reflecting on some things....

I had a client the other day that had to stop and rest while she was working out. She seemed to be sad and disappointed about having the do that. I said to her at that point, " There's no shame in having to stop and rest you know. I would think that there's only shame in not going back at it once you've rested"

I run into this a lot with my clients (and I can only relate). Having ideas and expectations on what we 'should' be able to do and what we 'have' done in the past and where we 'should' be at right now...........

I ran into this problem when I first got really sick with strep in the fall of 2010 (my first year out there training) and when I went to get back to it I had to build my strength back up....this was my first experience where I had something to compare to....how I 'use' to be and what I 'was' able to do and how I 'couldn't' do that anymore. It was hard and a real inner personal journey for me on acceptance.

I continue with this since in my first year I trained like a crazy woman out of fear that I would 'fall off the healthy kick wagon' Plus I was having more fun then I have had in a long time....but by the end of the year I looked up and realized that I hadn't been around for some of my friends and family. So I decided that I would take a more balanced approach and be sure to bring my family along with me and set some time aside for friends. Which is what I did, but this ment that I wasn't training as hard, which means I'm not as fast as I 'was' or as strong as I 'was'. This is when that little voice would start to pop up and compare how I 'was' to what I was 'able' to do right now..........


........I 'like' the P90X page on Facebook and one day they posted a quote by Tony Horton (the P90X trainer) that really helped me to change my mind set about all this.


"Do your best and forget the rest-show up and be okay with how you are doing right now, rather than compare yourself to the previous time. The place and headspace you are in right now are all you have. Why would you want to ruin it by comparing it to something else?"


So every time I start to hear that little voice of 'should' 'did' 'can't'........I just say, " Gail why do you want to ruin THIS awesome moment with that? Just enjoy what you ARE doing!"








'Live in YOUR Awesome!'



*ive
*ove
*augh
*******

No comments:

Post a Comment