A Van Awesome Journey

Hi thanks for finding my blog! I am a wife of an awesome husband and proud mother to two amazing boys. I just quit my job to stay at home with our children and now have all the time in the world to play play play!!! Play with my children and play some games of my own...hence this blog. I entered a contest to be part of an Adventure Race something I have never done before. So I am required to blog weekly on my journey...so here goes..thanks for sharing it with me :).................So what has started out as a blog for reasons mentioned above has now continued into an on going journey that I have been asked to continue to share...and you with me! So thanks for coming along for the ride :)

Monday, February 21, 2011

BMI ~ BS!


So being a former 'big' girl I never did like the BMI thing...It just told me what I already knew....I am obese and unhealthy...thanks for the info. But also I wonder when did they come up with this scale? Back in the early 1900??!! I think it needs to be readjusted because I still don't think it works well.

I, just for interest sake inserted my info here to find out what my BMI is and guess what...I'm STILL over weight!!! Not to worry cause I know I am not and that I'm healthy and fit....but what's a 5"9' girl to do?.....This then got me thinking if it impacted others the way it did me?

So I want to clear the air...the BMI is BS...to a certain point. The way that I like to measure health is with a fit test. I LOVE these cause this really shows you where your fitness/health level is at. You can even do one one your own.

Do the following exercises for one minute each (be sure to rest between and catch your breath so you are not tired out for the next one) record how many you were able to do in that minute.....6-8wks later do this test again and see if you have beat your last numbers :)

-Jumping jacks
-Step ups on the stairs (step to the 2nd stair)
-Push ups
-Burpee's
-Time how long you can hold plank


Have fun and let me know how you do! :D







'Live in YOUR Awesome!'

*ive
*ove
*augh
******

2 comments:

  1. Good morning. You can find details on the October half marathon here http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/
    It's linked somewhere on my blog but I couldn't find the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple weeks ago I had my BMI done and these were the categories...

    Underweight
    Normal
    Overweight
    Obese
    Morbidly obese

    Now I KNOW I'm overweight, I know I'm obese...but my BMI falls ABOVE the morbidly obese category. Doesn't that mean I'm walking around DEAD? Geez, that was fun to hear!!!

    Not letting it get me down though...still plugging along. :)

    ReplyDelete